Welcome to New Bern Woman’s Club!
The New Bern Woman’s Club was established in 1905 at a time when women were not eligible to vote. Many clubs like ours were established during the early part of the twentieth century, aiming to gain rights to vote and own property, and to become better educated for the benefit of children, families, and communities.
Our first president was Mrs. H.B. (Julia) Duffy, and the club originally was affiliated with the National Federation of Women’s Clubs. The club is no longer affiliated with any parent or sister clubs. In 1962, we incorporated, and in 2010 the IRS granted it status as a 501 (c) 3 public charity.
Some historic highlights:
- Relief efforts, in 1922, for victims of New Bern’s Great Fire.
- Spearheaded the effort to convert Union Point from a dumping ground into a park during the Depression. By following this link, you may read a history of this project that was written, for posterity, by a clubwoman.
Club History – The House the Depression Built
- 1933 – Built a clubhouse in Union Point Park which also served as a community center until the 1950s.
- 2004 – Donated $15,000 in seed money toward the construction of the beautiful Union Point Park gazebo.
- The first Holly & Ivy Holiday Homes Tour took place in 1999 and has become our signature fundraising event, held on the second Saturday of December. For over twenty years, many gracious homeowners in New Bern have placed their homes on tour in support of our club and community.
New Bern Woman’s Club will sponsor two Craven Arts Council banners featuring art from New Bern area schools.
The members of the New Bern Woman’s Club are pleased to invite you to be their guest at the 23rd “The Holly & The Ivy” Holiday Homes Tour on Saturday, December 10th from 10:30 to 3:30. All net proceeds from the tour go to benefit charitable causes in our community and our three annual college scholarships. You won’t want to miss this beautiful tour. We can’t wait to see you then.
New Bern Woman’s Club is pleased to announce:
CENTURY 21 Coastal Advantage as our Event Sponsor for the 2022 The Holly and The Ivy Holiday Homes Tour.
How We Help
Members are encouraged to volunteer for one or more departments that support women’s health, promote literacy and education.